YFU looks for students who are flexible, have a spirit of adventure, and who will enjoy the challenge of adapting to new people in a new culture. You must be between the ages of 15 and 18, meet minimum grade requirements, 75% on your board examinations at the 10th Standard, and be in good health.
Applicants to the YFU High School Program must demonstrate the following in order to be accepted:
• Strong academic record
• Motivation to excel in academic or career courses
• Commitment to the host family experience
• Self-responsibility, self-direction, and maturity
• Readiness for a cross cultural exchange experience
Candidates applying to the program must demonstrate pride in their culture and respect for cultural diversity. Applicants , submit personal essays, and take part in face-to face interviews to determine motivation and readiness for both homestay exchange and high school level work.
These requirements are dependent on the country you select. Some countries require that you have studied their language for a minimum of two years, but other countries are not so strict.
The High School Program tuition includes international airfare to a host family, host family placement arrangements, program orientation, on-going support, and insurance.
Covered by Tuition Cost
- International travel
- International airport assistance
- Host family placement
- School placement
- Visa support
- Language courses
- Medical and liability insurance
- Pre-departure orientation in India
- Arrival orientation in host country
- Mid-term orientation
- Departure orientation
- On-program support, monthly contact with trained volunteers
- Counseling assistance by professional staff, if required
- 24 X 7 support
Not Covered by Tuition Cost
- Visa fees and visa related expenses including travel cost
- Monthly allowance (about $200 per month for personal spending money, transportation to and from school, text books and extra-curricular activity costs)
Note: All YFU Programs are subject to change or cancellation without prior notice.